Recent Posts

Monday, March 7, 2011

Legendary Genesis Frontman..... Retiring!

photo courtesy of wikipedia.com

Phil Collins, one of the most recognized face the music industry and drummer/lead singer of the legendary band Genesis, not to mention a noteworthy solo career, said, in a recent interview with FHM magazine, that he will be retiring from music altogether.  In the interview, he contributed hearing problems, a dislocated vertebra and nerve damage in his hands, all brought on by a lifetime spent hunched behind a drum kit as reasons for his decision.

"I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this'," the former Genesis frontman says in an interview with FHM magazine.  "I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely...I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return. That would be a great way to end the story, wouldn't it?" Collins followed.

"I'm not worried about not being able to play the drums again, I'm more worried about being able to cut a loaf of bread safely or building things for my kids," he says.

Doctors have advised him that his hands, at this point, are not strong enough to play the drums. It will take at least a year of rehab to even begin to think about getting back on the drum kit.  And because of all of this, coupled with the drummer's desire to spend time with his kids, he said, regarding playing music "...I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again."

Come on, Phil!!!!  How about one last concert, with the Genesis boys?  Preferably here in DC!

Nevertheless, the man is a living legend, so no matter what he decides to do with the rest of his life, the music industry should be proud to include Phil Collins in its history.  Good luck on your second life, Phil.. we'll miss ya!

Rock On, DC!
\m/
DCVince

0 comments:

Post a Comment